Bridge descent guide
Posted March 28th 2011
This is my comprehensive guide to single-player methods of descending from the first bridge in 'Assault on the Control Room'. It's a project I started after releasing BCM7 and BCM8 featuring one such method. I figured it was time I learnt about others and tried them out. I've done a lot of archive trawling to find all I can, and a number of folk have provided useful material along the way (thanks again to them).
Method descriptions are written in general terms rather than trying to describe exactly how things were done originally, as those particulars are usually not critical and there's often a good deal of variation possible. Checkpoint advice is separated out, as the use of checkpoints to ease the work is never necessary, though often very useful if you're not in a rush.
Many methods are only suitable for PAL Xbox, while some are only suitable for NTSC and PC. In the contents list below, I've indicated the systems to which methods are well suited, to the best of my knowledge. With some methods you might also be able to use an unsuitable system, though it would likely be problematic. You'll find greater detail on the pages themselves.
Note: My bridge descent movies are listed in the Bridge descents section of my movie index page, and are all done on PAL Xbox.
Athletic methods (pure falling and bouncing)
- Falling to the near left ledge (xbill, April 2002) NTSC/PC
- Bouncing off the ledge then the plateau base and a rock (Sligfantry, December 2012) PAL
- Bouncing off the ledge then the plateau base (Sligfantry & Rockslider, December 2012) PAL
- Falling to the near right ledge (Origin unclear) PAL
- Bouncing off the near right ledge then a rock (Chris Corelli, March 2002) PAL
- Bouncing off the near right ledge then the cliff base (Origin unclear) NTSC/PC
- Bouncing off the far left ledge then a tree and rock (Origin unclear) PAL
- Bouncing off the far right ledge then the hog (Origin unclear) PAL
- Bouncing off the far right ledge then a rock (Origin unclear) PAL
Stoppage methods (getting stopped on the ledge by something)
- Getting stopped on the ledge by a Shade (FrogBlast, February 2002) NTSC/PC/PAL
- Getting stopped on the ledge by a patrolling Elite (Rockslider, February 2011) PAL
- Getting stopped on the ledge by a gold Elite (Rockslider, February 2011) PAL
- Getting stopped on the ledge by a Hunter (Rockslider, February 2011) PAL
- Using a frozen Hunter and gold Elite (Rockslider, November 2012) PAL
Shade riding methods (falling in a Shade)
- Pelican riding via Shade launch (Ms. Man, October 2004) NTSC/PC
- Getting slowed by a grenade on the near right ledge (Gameovertime222, July 2005) NTSC/PC